In the old days, miners used to take canaries into the mines as a first warning system of toxic gas build up. Over the last decades, our children have been our canaries. There are many instances where it took multiple birth defects, childhood cancers or deaths to alert us to serious environmental and toxin problems.
Children are often our first warning and the worst victims of environmental disasters like the toxic waste disaster at Love Canal (1978), the Three Mile Island nuclear radiation disaster (1979), the Union Carbide toxic gas leak in Bhopal (1984), and the Chernobyl nuclear disaster (1986). Why? Because children can experience more concentrated toxic effects than adults. Fumes that might just give you a headache can immobilise or even kill a small child.
Here are some reasons why your child is more vulnerable to pollution and toxins:
- Smaller body mass – The same amount of toxin has a greater effect on a child than on you
- Faster metabolism – Your child breaths faster than you, taking in more toxins per second, and those toxins are circulated through the body faster
- Lower height – Being lower to the ground where many powerful toxins such as natural gas fumes from gas stoves and heaters, car exhaust, diesel exhaust, and heavy metals tend to settle, your small child may be breathing in more toxic air than you
- Thinner, more sensitive skin – Pollutants and toxins can enter more easily, especially as children’s skin is often cut or abraded
- Immature body barriers – A child’s body defences (digestive, respiratory and immune system) may not be fully developed until around 7 years of age, providing less protection against toxins
- Increased exposure – Children may be exposed to more toxins than you. For instance, small children often put things into their mouths, probably don’t wash their hands after going to the toilet, and play with potting mix or soil which often contain molds and other toxins. Children’s outside toys and play areas may be toxic from deposited pollution, airborne molds, and the chemical compounds used to make them – especially plastic or latex toys or equipment made from particle board.
I know from many years of treating children that their illnesses, allergies and sensitivities and asthma can often be traced back to toxins. When these children are put on a detox program – even a mild or brief one – their ability to cope with their allergies and to resist disease is radically improved.
You may not be able to prevent your child from taking in toxins, but you can certainly help clear the body of toxic effects. Just add a few crystals of CHI’s Environmental Detox Salts to your child’s water every day, and you know you’re helping to protect against damage from toxins. In this toxic world, I recommend them to the whole family.